Thank you for supporting your child with the 30 Book Challenge. On Tuesday, we will be visiting the library to check out new books. If students finish a book before the next library day, they may choose new books during recess and before or after school. Students need to bring their 30 Book Challenge with them, so Mrs. Cindy can record their book correctly on the challenge. If your child does not finish a book they can renew it. Mrs. Cindy allows two renewals for each book. Books for the 30 Book Challenge need to be on their Lexile and read this year in third grade.
I saw lots of students going to the library last week during recess to get new books. This made my teacher heart happy since we didn’t go to the library as a class.
Button Day is Coming!
This Wednesday, October 9th, is the last day I will accept completed genres for this quarter. Our first Button Day is scheduled for Friday, October 18th. For them to earn the genre button they must have had the books approved by me or Mrs. Cindy and have had a parent initial that they did read the entire books.
Just a reminder that students have the opportunity to earn genre buttons each quarter. Our 2nd quarter Button Day will be in December.
Weekly Reading Tip: Monthly Reading Reflection
The new October Reading Reflection is due on Friday, November 1st. Starting with this reflection, I will be grading them using a rubric. This week, students will have that rubric in their binder with their new reflection. Please review it’s expectations with your child.
Helpful Hints for Completing the Reading Reflection
- We talked about the importance of working on the reflection as soon as we finish a book while it’s still fresh in our mind.
- Students need to be writing at least 3 complete sentences for each question. We have talked about 7-Up sentences in class this year. A 7-Up sentence is a sentence that has 7 or more words with 10 usually being the maximum.
- The books they are using for their reflection should be coming from the books on the 30 Book Challenge.
Comprehension: You will find additional information about each of the comprehension skills we focus on in third grade underneath the Reading Skills tab on the blog.
We will be continuing our close read of Rumpelstiltskin by looking at different versions of this story and how they compare and contrast to the original.
Context Clues – Readers use clues to determine the meaning of unknown words. This week, we will be focusing on definition, example, and synonym clues.
Compare and Contrast
Upcoming Due Dates:
- All genres completed this quarter are due this Wednesday, October 9th.
- Button Day – October 18th
- October Reading Reflection – Due on Friday, November 1st (Parents must sign the Reflection and 30 Book Challenge when your child has read the book). Just a reminder that students choose a different Lexile book to answer each of the questions on the Reading Reflection.